What should I ask for when I am hiring an arborist or tree company?

Always get 2-3 written price quotes before you choose one company, ask to see proof of liability insurance and do NOT pay the company until the work is complete.

Be wary of people that go door-to-door soliciting business, even if they did good work for your neighbor.

Before hiring a company, make sure they understand what is expected with the tree removal including timeline, wood removal or chipping, and stump debarking. You do not need to grind out the stump if the bark is removed off the stump.

At this time, City of Lakeville does not require tree care companies to be licensed to work in Lakeville. All tree care contractors in Minnesota are required to be registered through the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA). If you need help finding a contractor near you, try searching the MDA Tree Registry List. For more tips, visit our How to Hire a Tree Contractor webpage.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Minnesota Certified Tree Inspector?
2. What is an ISA Certified Arborist?
3. What should I ask for when I am hiring an arborist or tree company?
4. What happens when a tree is infested with emerald ash borer, or diseased with oak wilt and/or Dutch elm disease and is marked for removal?
5. What are the removal requirements for an infested/diseased tree?
6. What does DBH mean? What factors influence how much a tree will cost to remove?
7. How do I dispose of the wood and brush debris?
8. Does the stump have to be ground out and removed?
9. What If I don’t think I can complete the removal requirements within the provided timeline?
10. Should I notify the City when work is complete? How do I tell if my property has been re-inspected?
11. Does the City of Lakeville offer replacement trees for removed infested/diseased trees?
12. How did the Tree Inspector determine property lines? What if I don’t think the tree is on my property?
13. What if there are power lines over or around my tree?
14. Does the City mark infested and diseased trees on its own property?