179th Street Reconstruction Project
UPDATE - November 10: The project is substantially complete and opened to traffic. Minor clean up items including restoration and pavement striping will be completed through November and in the spring of 2021.
The City and County are partnering to complete improvements along 179th Street from Cedar Avenue (CSAH 23) to Fieldcrest Avenue to rehabilitate the roadway surface, improve intersection operations, make safety improvements and provide for increasing traffic levels. The project improvements will include:
- Reconstruction to a 2-lane divided highway
- Single lane roundabout at 179th Street/Flagstaff Avenue intersection. The roundabout is designed to be easily converted to a 2x1 in the future as traffic volumes increase on 179th Street.
- Dedicated turn lanes at intersections
- Geometric modifications
The project improvements are proposed to be completed consistent with the findings from the County Road 9/179th Street Corridor Study (PDF). The study was completed in partnership with Dakota County to establish the framework for the future turnback of Dodd Boulevard and 179th Street. Visit the Corridor Study’s website for more information.
Construction of the improvements will be completed in 2020. The project will be completed in two phases:
Phase 1: Cedar Avenue to Flushing Hills Court
- May-November 2020
- 179th Street will be closed to all traffic on September 9 between Cedar Avenue and Cub Foods entrance for final paving.
- After September 10, 179th Street will be closed from Glacier Way to Flushing Hills Court. Detour signage will be in place for local, regional and Crossroads business traffic.
- November 10: The project is substantially complete and opened to traffic. Minor clean up items including restoration and pavement striping will be completed through November and in the spring of 2021.
- Phase 1 closure and detour map (PDF)
Phase 2: Flushing Hills Court to Fieldfare Way (including the roundabout at Flagstaff Avenue/179th Street) - COMPLETED
- Final restoration will be completed between September 8-10.