Property Tax Information
City Services and Your Property TaxesThis short video available from The League of Minnesota Cities, “Special Delivery,” is a story about city services and the factors that affect property tax rates. It explains property tax statements and the various elements that are included on the single statement.
Understanding Property Taxes
- Property Taxation 101 (PDF): Describes the basics of Minnesota's property tax system.
- Property Tax Statement 101 (PDF): Explains the basics of the residential property tax system by reviewing each section of the property tax statement.
- Market Value Exclusion 101 (PDF)
Property Tax Relief
- State Homeowner Property Tax Relief Programs 101: There are three property tax relief programs aimed at homeowners offered by the State of Minnesota: the homeowner's Property Tax Refund Program, the Targeting Property Tax Refund, and the Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral Program. This document provides a basic description of each of these three programs, including eligibility criteria.
- State property tax relief: Follow this link to find information and forms required for applying for a property tax refund, if you qualify.
- Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral Program: This is a link to the state's website which provides information related to this program for senior citizens.
Property Market Values
- Dakota County property value appeal process: The Dakota County Assessor's office can provide information on how your property value was established and the appeal process. Visit their website or call their office at 651-438-4200.
- : This online tool provides you with an estimated property tax on the market value of your home, taking into consideration its location and school district, two factors that affect the property taxes you pay.
- Fiscal Disparities 101 (PDF): Local government units within the Twin Cities metropolitan area have participated in a property tax base sharing program.
- Minnesota's Fiscal Disparities Programs (PDF): Provides an overview of the state's two tax-base sharing programs, providing information on their backgrounds, policy rationales, program mechanics, redistributive effects, and tax burden impacts.
City of Lakeville Information
- Dakota County tax rates: This page on Dakota County's website contains comparisons of tax rates and taxable net capacity values (by entity), and proposed tax rates for the current year.
- City financial data: This search function, offered by the Minnesota State Auditor's Office, allows you to compare how a city ranks versus other cities in the state on a per capita basis in various revenue and expenditure categories.